Pablo Sandoval’s Choice

by on November 20, 2014

Panda Should Stay Home

Yesterday was a harrowing day for San Francisco Giants fans. Tweets out of Boston and San Francisco had Pablo Sandoval on the verge of signing a potential $100 million deal to join the Red Sox. Inside sources said that Pablo had a 90% chance of going to Boston, and a 10% likelihood of signing with Toronto.

That left a 0% chance of him staying in San Francisco.

Pablo was about to leave a team whose fans loved him for one that made him fly commercial to Boston. The Red Sox didn’t even care enough about Pablo’s comfort to bring him to Boston on a private jet.

As  I followed the twitter feed for “Pablo Sandoval Red Sox,” I read the gleeful dispatches from Red Sox fans. They felt they were about to get both Pablo and Jon Lester, as reports said the Sox had made large offers to both.

For the first time in my life I hated the Red Sox. I called my father-in-law, a Red Sox fan for 77 years who even attended the 1946 World Series, to complain about his team stealing our Panda. Fortunately he was not home.

Here at home, we thought of strategies. It was suggested that fans wearing Panda garb converge on Civic Center Plaza. Someone wondered why Mayor Lee could not declare a state of Giants emergency, showing Pablo how badly we wanted him back (Lee publicly asked Pablo to return at the Giants parade and seemed willing to appoint Sandoval to replace David Chiu if he lived in District 3 and wanted the job of supervisor as a condition of staying with the Giants).

As the afternoon came to a close, reports emerged (confirmed by Pablo’s brother Michael) that the Red Sox had not made a contract offer prior to Pablo leaving Boston. It was then reported that they were offering the same 5 year, $90 million deal as the Giants.

Hope had returned.

And with time came thought.

Pablo said at the Giants parade that he would go with his heart. How can his heart not tell him to stay in San Francisco?

Pablo Sandoval needs to think hard before leaving his heart in San Francisco to pursue pastures when a few million dollars more over five years means nothing to Pablo’s life.

Giants fans feel that they have given Pablo their love and that he should reciprocate. That’s why his departure, particularly if for the same dollars offered by the Giants, would be felt like a personal betrayal.

Pablo has a choice. And let’s hope he does not strike out.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Randy Shaw

Randy Shaw is the Editor of Beyond Chron and the Director of San Francisco’s Tenderloin Housing Clinic, which publishes Beyond Chron. Shaw is the author of four books on activism, including The Activist's Handbook: Winning Social Change in the 21st Century, and Beyond the Fields: Cesar Chavez, the UFW and the Struggle for Justice in the 21st Century. His new book is The Tenderloin: Sex, Crime and Resistance in the Heart of San Francisco

More Posts

Tags: ,

Filed under: National Politics

Translate »